Associate Portfolio Manager (Chicago area)
Our client is an established, dynamic investment management firm headquartered in the USA, with regional offices across the country. They invest globally for a nationwide client base of high-net-worth individuals offering a complete range of financial services to a diversified group of clients and advisors. Their focus is on sound personalized investment advice coupled with superior service to satisfy their client relationships. The talent and passion of their people is critical to their success, together with the common set of values rooted in integrity and excellence.
Implement proprietary strategies and asset allocation for our clients Financial Advisors and clients. Assist Sr. Portfolio Managers (SPM) in the development of short-and long-term investment strategies and approaches to achieve investment goals for clients.
What will you do?
- Partner with portfolio managers to recommend initial strategic asset class allocation for new clients, and recommendations for trades and allocation changes for existing clients.
- Client calls and inquiries: be able to discuss both economic and client portfolio topics: - Introductory and ongoing review calls, build the client relationship and rapport, discuss the relevant economic outlook and the applicability to the client's portfolio and goals - Respond to incoming calls, emails, and inquiries from clients and advisors - Portfolio characteristics, economic updates, and the firm's investment thesis - Specific strategies and solutions: business description and reasons we own - Tie everything to client's goals and aspirations - Create, research, and provide detailed ad-hoc analyses
- Manage the Book: analyses/activities on the total book of business, segments of the book, and client portfolios. - Track new clients and specific actions to take across the Book and for specific clients
- Trade execution: buy and sell securities to implement asset allocations for client portfolios, based on client's investment mandates, cash needs, firm strategy changes and general rebalancing; assess tax liabilities and client directed account restrictions to determine whether macro investment decisions are applicable on the account level; manage complex situations.
- Monitor client portfolios for deviations from specified strategy or to provide investment recommendations.
- Create and/or review client portfolio review presentations and portfolio risk/return analysis presentations.
- Manage the workflow and development of teammates: - Training of systems and procedures - Foster growth of responsibilities, and thinking, and serving clients - Delegate portfolio management tasks between the team members
- Reinforce PM/Research guidance throughout the team environment, i.e., a bridge between PMs/Research to teammates.
- Promote the development and growth of our colleagues, nurture and care about their aspirations and goals.
- Collaborate with technology, strategy, operations, trading teams, etc., to improve processes across the firm.
- Support the management of process control on the team.
- Complete special projects as requested.
What do you need to succeed?
- Master's Degree MBA and/or CFA, received or underway
- Minimum 6 years of experience in Investment Management
- FINRA Series 7 and 66 securities or ability to obtain
Skills and Knowledge:***
- Think and act like a PM; stand in as the PM -- team, client, and advisor facing; mindset of serving clients and advisors
- Well-versed on our client’s investment products, macro-economic environment, and able to tell our clients story to convey our value-proposition, and convey and reinforce our messaging
- Interest in, desire to follow, and love for markets
- Ability to articulate the complex in understandable and consumable terms to advisors and clients with varied investment knowledge and understanding; shift seamlessly from high-level concepts to drill down into specifics
- Skill in demonstrating empathy, emotional intelligence, relationship management, and communications
- Extensive knowledge of markets and industry as well as portfolio management expertise
- Comprehensive understanding of our client’s investment and research philosophy
- Analytical skills, ability to translate and implement theoretical into practical, flawless execution and quality, and attention to detail
- Operate well in a high growth environment; ability to manage high volume task orientation while contemplating future growth and team capabilities
- Ability to work independently and use sound judgment
- Extensive knowledge of the Firm's proprietary trading system, as well as the portfolio accounting system
- Assessment of skills and capabilities of others
- Teaching skills
- Continuous improvement mindset
- Strong problem-solving skills
*** To be considered for this position you must meet at least these basic qualifications***
The preceding job description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job.